Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Conan the Barbarian Created January 2008

Photobucket

Crom!

Another of my favorite Marvel characters - and one I've been wanting to make a custom of since I started customizing. My 7th Grade (way back when old school was new school) Geography Teacher, Chuck Holden, turned me on to Conan when he saw I was reading an old E.R. Burroughs Tarzan novel - he asked if I had ever read Conan, which I hadn't, and said that if I liked Tarzan, I would love Conan by Robert E. Howard. I went out and bought the 2nd book in the series that was available at the time - Conan Of Cimmeria - with the Frazetta painting of Conan battling the Frost Giants. Read it and was hooked. I went out and bought another volume of the series every time I had enough money - I still have them. I also spent a lot of time and money trying to track down back issues of CTB, Savage Tales and Savage Sword Of Conan. All those disappeared over time but now I'm lucky enough to be buying all the beautiful Dark Horse reprints of those Marvel stories.

Alright, enough of my oldster yakking about the good old days...I was pretty excited when I heard that Marvel Toys was going to be putting out a ML style Conan Action Figure with the LCBH line but like many I was a little disappointed when I got it. I didn't care for the body - I've seen that same body on other figures and customs and it looks great but I just didn't like the way it looked on Conan. So whaddaya gonna do? Make a Custom! I gotta give props to a great Customizer - Zombihamma - as a custom Ka-Zar figure he made gave me the idea on how to approach making this custom Conan.



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

WIP Pic > Photobucket


Recipe:
Head & Boots - LCBH Conan
Torso, Arms, Waist & Legs to Mid-Thigh - TNA Chris Sabin
Legs from Mid-Thigh down to Boots - ML Iron Fist
Wrists & Hands - ML Wonderman
R. Arm Band, Belt, Belt Buckle and Sabin & Iron Fist Legs grafted & blended together with Aves Fixit Sculpt
Batch & Butt Cover - Cut From LOTR Coat


Painted with a mix of Vallejo, Citadel & Model Masters Paints

This custom Conan currently resides with my good friend and a helluvah great customizer; FastFreddie. Check his stuff out > http://www.figurerealm.com/ViewCustoms.php?UID=1768

Let me know what you think!

Thanx!

No comments:

Post a Comment