Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shang Chi Master Of Kung Fu Created Nov 2007

Photobucket

Super 70's Kung Fu Action! Shang Chi - the Master Of Kung Fu, son of the insidious Fu Manchu - reared by his father to be a living weapon, yadda, yadda, yadda... I loved both the regular Shang Chi MOKF comic and the b&w magazine Deadly Hands of Kung Fu when I was growing up in the 70's.

I had some serious doubts when I was making this custom but upon finishing it they were all dispelled. Some more milestones for me - 1st time painting eyes (not too shabby) and 1st time sculpting hair. All of the red in his costume was spray painted with ColorBond GM Crimson Vinyl Dye. I gotta say it's tough stuff - not totally impervious to rub - but it holds up much better than Acrylic paint. A good trick to using vinyl dye is to disassemble the figure and spray the parts that way - then let them sit for a day and alow the dye cure before trying to reassemble. Vinyl dye is great for base coating. Too bad it doesn't come in a flesh color. One warning - the wheels in the SF shoulder and hip balls don't like vinyl dye - it scrapes right off so I had to sand them down a bit and used a dark red sharpie and paint.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

WIP Pic >

Photobucket

Recipe:
Mortal Kombat Liu Kang Head - cut off his mullet and resculpted hair with Fixit to resemble Shang Chi's. The tassle part of the headband is from an SF Ryu.
SOTA Street Fighter Ken body and Gi - btw the Gi was Yellow - Vinyl Dye is the stuff to use for rubber clothes and capes ;)
SOTA SF Gen - arms and hands. I had to build up the SF Ken's shoulder balls with Apoxie Sculpt to fill the gap because the Gen arms didn't cinch up tight to Ken's shoulders.
ML Iron Fist - feet I tried using the ML7 Weapon X bare feet 1st but they were too small and would not support him so I switched to the IF feet and gave Shang some nice slippers. I had to cut the IF feet at the shins and use small screws to get them into the Ken legs and give them articulation.
Flesh was done by first base coating with Vallejo Game Colors Bronze Flesh and then I drybrushed a mix of Elf Flesh and Bronze Flesh over it.
Yellow border and sandals done with VGC Sunblast Yellow, headband and inside sleeves done with VGC Scar Red.

LMK what you think.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment